Thursday, June 27, 2013

An Open Letter To Chuck Klosterman

Dear Chuck,

I am a big fan of your writings. I've practically memorized the essays in Sex, Drugs, & Cocoa Puffs and Eating the Dinosaur. They contain the kind of insight I sometimes have in conversations, but never have had the discipline to write them down. The way you deconstruct cereal commercials, rock tribute bands and teen sitcoms, I say to myself, Damn, he can put into words what I only vaguely sense.

So I've decided to give myself an exercise. Next month I will purchase a copy of your upcoming collection of essays, I Wear The Black Hat. Each week I will ready one essay and write a response letter to you for that essay. Your theme is villainy in fiction and real life, and how you've become fascinated by it. So I will look at the book from the opposite perspective. As my college technical writing (1) instructor taught us, it's not what's written that makes a point, it's what's not written.

I welcome you to view my blog answering your book. On August 1, get ready for the first entry in "Letters To A Pop Culture Columnist." (2)

http://letterstochuck.blogspot.com/

Sincerely,

Dan Wohl

(1) I majored in industrial engineering at Rutgers. See, I got the footnote thing down, too.

(2) I don't like to use words like "pundit" or "guru" when referring to you, since you provide more interesting answers then questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment